Dr. Shichang Kang
Ph. D., Guest Professor, Institute of Tibetan Plateau Research, CAS
Research Interest: Atmospheric environment; paleoenvironment and climate records in ice cores; changes in glacier and climate
Institute of Tibetan Plateau Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, No. 16 Lincui Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, P.R. China
Tel: 0086-10-84097092 (office)
Doctor of Philosophy: Natural Geography, 9/1995 – 3/1999, Lanzhou Institute of Glaciology and Geocryology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Lanzhou, China.
Major in climatic and environmental changes recovered from ice cores records in Himalayas.
- Master of Science: Natural Geography, 8/1992 – 6/1995, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China.
Major in climatic change and glacier fluctuations in Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau.
- Bachelor of Science: Natural Geography, 8/1988 - 6/1992, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China.
2011-present, Associate Editor for《Atmospheric Research》.
Professor: 11/2003-present, Institute of Tibetan Plateau Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Research Associate Scientist: 1/2003-2/2004, Climate Change Institute, University of Maine, USA.
Postdoctoral Fellow: 9/2000-12/2002, Institute for Quaternary and Climate Studies, University of Maine, USA.
Assistant Research Professor: 3/1999-8/2000, Key Laboratory of Ice Core and Cold Regions Environment, Lanzhou Institute of Glaciology and Geocryology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Lanzhou, China.
1/1996 - 6/1996, Geophysical Institute, University of Bergen, Norway;
2/1998 - 5/1998, Climate Change Research Center, EOS, University of New Hampshire, USA;
9/1999 - 12/1999, Climate Change Research Center, EOS, University of New Hampshire, USA.
Field Research Experiences:
Up to now, I have leaded more than 20 scientific expeditions to Tibetan Plateau; among them seven times I have been to Mt. Everest. I am very experienced in field work at extreme high elevations (5000 – 7000 m).
More than 30 projects I have participated during the last decade, partial recent projects are listed here:
- Water and heat cycles and their effects on regional environment in the key basins in the southern Tibetan Plateau, Innovation Project of CAS (KZCX-YW-145), 2009-2011, PI;
- Integrated study on anthropogenic metal pollutants in the atmosphere recorded in the environments of the Nam Co Basin, Tibetan Plateau, National Science Foundation of China (NSFC, 40830743), 2009-2012, PI;
- Historical records of atmospheric heavy metals from the Geladaindong ice cores, central Tibetan Plateau, NSFC (40774487), 2008-Dec. 2010, PI;
- Climate and environmental records from ice cores on Mt. Geladandong, Tanggulha Mts, Tibetan Plateau, NSFC (40401054), 2005-2007, PI;
“Talent Project” of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), 2004-2007, PI;
- Climate and environmental records from ice cores in the source region of Yangtze River, Director Fund of CAS, 2004-2006, PI;
- Environmental change over the Tibetan Plateau and its response to global change, and adoption policies, National Basic Research Program of China (2005CB422000), 2005-2010, sub-PI;
- Environmental change and its relationship to ecosystem over the Tibetan Plateau since Holocene, Innovation Project of CAS (KZCX3-SW-339), 2004-2006; sub-PI;
- Paleoclimate from Mount Everest Ice Cores, NSF-ATM (USA), 2002-2005, co-PI;
- Holocene Climate Variability, NSF-ATM (USA), 2000-2002, participator.